A few snippets from Scripture on the subject of salvation . . . To be saved, we need to:
- Hear the gospel (Romans 10:14)
- Understand the gospel (Acts 28:27)
- Believe the gospel (Hebrews 11:6)
Response of belief:
- Repentance (Luke 15:7)
- Burial in water (baptism) symbolising death to serving sin (Romans 6:4)
- Rising to a new life which involves:
- Dying to sin and living to God (Rom 6:2, 6, 13, 22)
- Walking by the spirit (Gal 5:16-17; Phi 1:9-11) and bearing the fruit of the spirit (Gal 5:22-23)
- Taking up one’s cross daily and following Jesus (Luke 9:23-24)
- Keeping Jesus’ commandments (1 John 2:24; John 13:34-35; 14:23)
If we faithfully and humbly follow Jesus, at the end of our lives we can say with Paul (2 Tim 4:7-8)
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (8) Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!