In Titus 2 and 1 Timothy 3:1-11, Paul gives advice to those who wish to preach the gospel. They should make their own lives and households are in order first. For example
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity,
and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us. (Titus 2:7-8)
In Romans 2:21-24 he points out that those who teach others what they should be doing must be careful to set a good example themselves.
The other advice we are given in the Bible is:
- Preach to everyone (Matthew 28:19);
- Remember that Jesus will help you find the words and give you the strength (Matthew 28:20; Luke 21:15; 2 Timothy 4:17);
- Don’t wait for someone else to do it (Romans 10:14-15);
- Be respectful and gentle (1 Peter 3:15);
- Always be ready, even if you don’t feel like it (2 Timothy 4:2; 1 Peter 3:15).