There are many references to saints in the Scriptures. The faithful in Israel were called saints (Psalm 148:14), and the believers in the New Testament are frequently referred to as saints. Distinguishing features of saints as mentioned in Scripture:
- Excellent ones in whom God delights (Psalm 16:3)
- Those sanctified in Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 1:2)
- Those faithful in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:1)
- Members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone (Ephesians 2:19-21)
- Those who imitate God and follow the example of love Jesus showed. Those who shun immorality, covetousness, impurity, foolish talk & crude jokes. (Ephesians 5:1-5)
- Those delivered from the domain of darkness and transferred to the kingdom of God’s beloved Son, in whom is redemption, the forgiveness of sins. (Colossians 1: 11-14)
Those who belong to the communion of the saints, are those who believe the gospel and faithfully live their life serving God.